For those who rushed to get the Tecno Camon X after its release, a series of things would be running through your minds right now. More storage space? A higher resolution display and aspect ratio? These and many more come with the phone that was released in 2018 alongside the Tecno Camon X, Yes! I’m talking about the Tecno Camon X Pro.
This phone hit stores at the same time as the Tecno Camon X which is a lower variant and it is worthy of being called the “deal-breaker” as it boasts even more upgrades than the Camon X.
The Camon X Pro, a sequel to the Camon CX comes in Bordeaux Red and Midnight Black, housing Face ID, 1080 x 2160 pixel display, 4GB RAM, 64GB internal memory (ROM) and a host of others is what I’m calling Tecno’s best smartphone on the market.
In this review, I would be highlighting 10 new features of the Tecno Camon X Pro and the setbacks, those features we hate.
Tecno Camon X Pro Display
- Camon X Pro comes with a 6.0 inch IPS screen with Gorilla Glass 4. A built to withstand screen, not lacking in the display, as it has an aspect ratio of 18.9 and a resolution of 2160 x 1080 pixels. High definition graphics! A huge step up for the gamers and the movie lovers.
- Sunlight readability with up to 500nit brightness level. Meaning you can enjoy the interaction with your phone screen, in the sunlight, in the dark, any time of the day.
Tecno Camon X Pro Camera
- An eye-popping 24-megapixel front camera with f/20 aperture and dual-LED has HDR capabilities and an AI beauty; where installed algorithms are put to work in beautifying your pictures.
- A rear camera with a 16-megapixel sensor and a f/20 aperture that guarantees great photos as it is packed with a focus that’s faster than that of its predecessors. Able to deliver quality photos in both good and even poor lighting conditions with its quad-LED flash.
Note: I will like to point out, though, that the Camon X Pro doesn’t have a really good camera, I mean perfect for low lights, as much as we would expect. The front camera isn’t as great as the Camon CX, and I wouldn’t have made the upgrade if camera was my thing.
I expected that with the massive 24 MP front camera, we’ll get something superb, but what we received was way below par. It’s even worse when you try to take pictures at night. So here is my HONEST take on the camera, hope you’ll be able to make an informed decision after reading this.
Tecno Camon X Pro Hardware
- Inside the Camon X Pro is MediaTek’s System on a chip; Helio P23 octa-core which is more powerful than the Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 430. A processor that is based on 64-bit architecture bringing together eight ARM Cortex-A53 cores that possesses an integrated Mali-G71 MP3 graphics processor which operates at 770MHz.
- More speed and more storage space for the hoarders; The Camon X Pro features a 4GB RAM, and a 64GB Internal memory (ROM) with an SD card slot, more expandable storage space.
- At the back of the phone is Camon X Pros fingerprint sensor which is a lot faster than that of the Phantom 8. This more precise fingerprint sensor is built in a way that allows for a better finger placement.
Tecno Camon X Pro Software
- The new HiOS V3.3 layered Android Oreo 8.1 keeps the Camon X Pro in sync with every other smartphone running the Android OS, and it’s not looking to get old any time soon as it can be upgradable to the next OS version when that time comes.
- The Camon X Pro takes security a notch higher with Face ID. Taking an in-depth map of your face, Face ID is a lot faster compared to the Iris scanner, giving you the option of unlocking the phone by just looking into the front camera of the Camon X Pro.
Tecno Camon X Pro Battery
- Its battery, with a capacity of 3750 mAh, would keep your phone awake with 4 to 5 hours of screen on time.
Just as there are a number of noteworthy things to look forward to in the Camon X Pro, here are a number of things that can’t be liked:
- With the midrange Adreno GPUs embedded in Qualcomm chips, be sure to expect some hiccups during gameplay owning to its graphics chip.
- Some apps found in the HiOS could really have been done away with, they just sit there redundant. I mean who needs an app for something you can access in the Settings Menu?
- Without the Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) and Professional Mode, the camera doesn’t look as limitless as you’d expect.
The Tecno Camon X Pro, Tecno’s best Camon till date, which boasts a continuous performance, decent battery life and a lot of camera power, the main feature the Camon series is known for. This is a phone that you won’t want to replace anytime soon, hopefully till Tecno releases another. It isn’t a disappointment but a statement of the Chinese OEMs maturity.